Friday, October 7, 2011

Foals Bread - Readalong- Preamble to Chapter Six

Hi Guys!
So as I said I am participating in the Foal's Bread read along, and this post is about the Preamble to chapter six, I'm going to try and not post spoilers but I may, so beware.

So to start off I have never read anything of Gillian Mears, to be honest I had never heard of her before I signed up for the read along. I tried to gain a little background information but I couldn't find much.

Anyway, here are my initial thoughts!

To start of, the preamble was very poetic, descriptive and sort of spiritual, I can't really think of another way to describe it.

When I started reading the first chapter, what I noticed first was the language. I found myself having to reread parts twice, even three times for it to make sense or sometimes it still didn't. It is full of traditional Australian jargon and horse related metalanguage. It's very dated language too, as this is set, and forgive me if I get this wrong, post world war one and pre world war two. Once I got used to it though, it became easier to read.  It's very beautiful, descriptive language that instantly gave me a image when I read it. I could clearly see in my mind the land, the blossoms of the honeymoon and even the hospital.

There are two main characters, Noah and Roley. At first I was a bit worried for Noah, and to be truthful I still am. I'm not sure if she knows that what occurred between her and her uncle was wrong as she still seems to care for him. I really dislike her father, as the animal cruelty part was really hard to read for me personally. Noah is a strong, wild, determined character that I really like. I also adore Roley, he is really sweet and the way he describes Noah is so cute, he obviously really cares for her. In a weird way I like his family, even his mother. They have their moments of ugliness, especially the racism towards Aboriginals, but overall I see them as a loving dysfunctional family, at least for now:)

The novel jumps in time a lot, it is linear but months, even years pass, which threw me a bit. I would have liked to see some moments that are only described when they think of the past.

Overall, even though it took me a while to get into the novel ,I am really enjoying reading it. Normally I guess what's going to happen but honestly I have no idea, so I'm really curious to find out.

4 comments:

  1. The pace - time jumping ahead so quickly - is disconcerting me a little bit, too. We're racing through. I just want us to stop in a particular time for a while, so we can get to know everyone a little bit better.
    I think the book is supposed to span two generations. It feels like we're flying along just to get there.
    My post is: http://myjournalofbecomingawriter.blogspot.com/2011/10/foals-bread-by-gillian-mears-read-along.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just struggling with the book due to the languaage, which makes me disappointed as it seems like such a beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel really engaged with Noah and Roley too. And agree that Roley's extended family is full of interesting characters. I also have no clue as to how it will turn out and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really love Noah and Roley and am anxious for them and their future! Thanks for participating as I know you are so busy with not much time for reading :-)

    ReplyDelete