Saturday, October 29, 2011

Foals Bread - Readalong- Chapter Twenty to the End

Sorry again for the late review, but this time it's because my internet decided not to work for the past week!

Here goes #spoiler alert#

So first off I want to thank Danielle from The Book Nerd Club for hosting this readalong and Allen and Unwin
It was my first readalong and it was really cool knowing that the other bloggers were reading the same parts and it was interesting reading the different perspectives.

So I have finally come to the end of the book. In the last chapters Lainey claims she has given up on Noah, and it was so sad to me to see her long for her mothers love, for the Noah she used to know. It really hit me, the sadness of their relationship. The part that described Noah's experience with Uncle Nipper and Lainey with Uncle Noah was really hard to read, even harder than before. I felt so sick reading it and I nearly jumped up and cheered when Noah came and saved her. And part of me was horrified, and part of me was slightly amused when she did what she did to Uncle Owen, I think because it seemed so unreal, not in bad way though, if that makes sense. Of course, when I found out his fate the amusement left me, but still.

Noah's storyline really leaves a lasting impression. I remember my first thoughts on her, as being bright and lively, and then due to unfortunate circumstances, her life becomes quite tragic. Her character is very real, and there so much to her, that I really wanted things to work out for her. It really shows how things never turn out as you expect.

The epilogue was really beautiful. I was really glad that Lainey had found some measure of happiness, she has grandchildren and had two husbands. I wished she had mentioned George, it would have been nice to know if he had lived past his teens. The ending wasn't exactly happy but it was very real, and it fits in with the whole book as being a chronicle of their lives.

Overall, I must say I enjoyed the book, but to be honest I would have stopped reading it if I had read it without there being a readalong. A lot of parts were difficult for me to read in terms of content and writing style, but I think Mears portrays these life events really well. I wonder if maybe, I didn't this book as much as I could have because of my age? Or perhaps its because it's not really the type of book I read, but after this I think I may read more. I think this type of book is one you have to read numerous times to fully appreciate it, to get all its meanings, and in my case, to understand the finer points of the language.
So once again thank you for giving me the opportunity to read this.

Now it's off to exams:( English is first!!!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it was your age - the book was hard work, but worth it in the end. Good luck with the exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It did end up being quite good

    ReplyDelete