Friday, October 14, 2011

Foals Bread - Readalong- Chapter Seven to Chapter Thirteen



Hi guys!!
So here is my readalong part 2!

Okay, so first a little summary, and yes spoiler alert
After being hit by lightning Roley is progressively loosing the feeling in his legs, he is experiencing a sort of numbness and this is making him inactive, meaning Noah has to take on more of the work. This is putting a strain not only on their marriage but with their relationships with their extended family. Noah is gambling and may be developing a drinking problem, and finds she is no longer satisfied with her relationship, and is even beginning to 'flirt' with other men. Roley, understandably is becoming increasing frustrated and ashamed of himself and his legs, at the end of chapter thirteen he is witnessed by his daughter, Lainey, loosing it, hitting his legs and crying. Septumus, Roley's father dies, and Minna, his mother and Noah's relationship has become even more strained. Lainey is growing up to be a good horsewoman, strong and slightly reminiscent of her mother. George, is growing up happy but has been subjected to attacks due to his mental state.

So, after reading these chapters I found myself confused, I'm not really sure where the book is going, or the encompassing theme of it. It is basically an account of their lives in war time and the various ups and downs they experience.

I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the characters, especially Roley and Noah, and their lack of communication, which I suppose was common back then. But knowing that doesn't stop me from wanting to scream out "Talk to each other!!!!". It's obviously putting a great strain on their relationship, and this is a problem they are both responsible for. Noah, has changed becoming slightly cruel and risky, dressing nice for other men, and still thinks fondly of her 'Uncle Nipper', I find it very difficult to read the parts where she describes him.I find myself being unable to relate to the characters anymore, and even dislike many of them.

The writing has gotten easier to read, but that's only because I've been skipping words I don't know, which unfortunately a lot, it's mostly slang though and I can infer the approximate meaning usually. As in previous chapters, horses and jumping are a constant presence, the death of a horse one central event that occurred in the chapters.

Lainey has grown to be very spirited, and good with the work her family does. She quite valiantly protected her brother when he was being attacked and I feel that a great portion of the next chapters will be about her. I was surprised by the fact that in previous chapters Noah's first child was mentioned many times, but in these one it was hardly mentioned at all.
It has stopped jumping so much in time, but ironically I wish it would now.

Can't want to read everyone else's thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I too am hoping that the next chapters are going to be about Lainey! I don't really know where the book is going either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that the book is really going anywhere. I think it's a study of these characters. The problem is, is that Mears is too subtle.
    The sexual abuse and the grooming that Uncle Nipper did to Noah has affected everything. She still compares her husband to her Uncle, which I also find disgusting, but that's the mental problem that the sexual abuse caused.
    Then there's the cruelty - Roley's mother to Noah, and Roley never standing up for her. Also the cruelty to animals. Also, they tie poor George to a tree. Lainey also cringes from her mother's anger.
    The restrained, closed-off relationships with the lack of affection.
    The drinking problem that Noah is developing has being alluded too.
    I think it might improve on the re-reading ...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to finding out where the story takes Lainey too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Lainey is one of my favourite characters now. And at this point I too am wondering what this novel is really 'about' in terms of theme/message, but I think Jacqui has hit it on the head about it being a study of the characters, in that time in history.

    ReplyDelete