Monday, January 10, 2011

Reccomendations please!

So this is not a review, no this is a cry for help, assistance and overall expertise from my book loving/ knowledgeable friends!

So a while ago I got my dad into reading! Well, reading YA anyway. He used to read I think, if the shelf of books he has is anything to go by, but I haven't seen him read for many years. Except for the Harry Potter series, he read all of them along with my brother and I.

Recently he read all seven of them them again in preparation for the first installment of the last movie. After he finished reading the last book I figured I might get him to try reading the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan, both of which I had been thinking of recommending to him for a while. And he actually loves reading them, he actually spends hours on the couch just reading:)

I think its so nice to have something in common with my dad, now we even have discussions about the books (we both think Halt is just hilarious), before we never had much to talk about and I'm really surprised that books are the thing that's bringing us close together, I bask in the awesome bringing-people-closer-together- power that books posses!!  My brother has accused my of bringing my dad over to the dork side, hey at least we have π! (Lame joke I know, but I still love it)

Anyway the problem is that my dad is nearly finished Brisingr, the third book in the Inheritance cycle and is about to read the Emperor of Nihon-Ja which is the current Ranger's Apprentice novel. Hence my plea for help. I need some recommendations to give him next, I'm fresh out of ideas. I gather that he likes books from a male perspective, slight romance is acceptable, and a fantasy element is appreciated. I've given him Percy Jackson to read but he hasn't read it yet, however I'm not sure he will like it as much as the others. So given that he has read Harry Potter, The Rangers Apprentice, Inheritance Cycle and about to read Percy Jackson can anyone give me some recommendations for some books he would like? Even if they don't fit the other books he has read but you think he would like it anyway please tell me! I really appreciate all your help.

So tell me how have books brought you closer to someone? And what other awesome super powers do books posses?

Bye!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Monique,
    Skulduggery Pleasant is a witty series about a skeleton detective and deals with all sorts of fantasy stuff. The story is told by different characters in the books, but mostly Skulduggery and his female teenage sidekick. Maybe check it out and see if you like it first. I personally love the series. Also, I think I have mentioned the Michael Scott book The Alchemyst and the rest of his series to you before. This could be another good one for him if your happy to stick with teen books.

    Moving away from teen fantasy, my Dad isn't a big reader of fiction but I got him into a series by Conn Iggulden called the 'Emperor' series which is a fictionalised version of the life of Caesar. The first book is called The Gates of Rome. He also has another series about the life of Genghis Khan. It is also fiction but based on fact. The series is 'Conqueror' and the first book is called Wolf of the Plains'. While I know these aren't really what you were looking for, I thought I would throw the idea out there anyway.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations. I've been meaning to read Skulduggery for a while but this time I might let my dad read them first and recommend them to me:) Even if he doesn't like the Emperor series it sounds like something I would like to read so thank you. And thank you so much for commenting

    ReplyDelete