Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jinx by Meg Cabot

Hey

So it’s been a while since I have blogged and this is due to the avalanche of homework I have. I did the not so smart thing and left most of my homework left to the last two weeks of holidays. There’s sooooo much, a little introduction into year twelve I suppose. This means that I will be blogging much less than I had hoped. I will endeavor to blog at least once a fortnight if not once a week. But I really wanted to post something so here is a little mini review of Meg Cabot’s Jinx. Enjoy!



Does Jinx have bad luck - or special powers?
Misfortune has followed Jean Honeychurch all her life - which is how she earned the nickname Jinx. And now her parents have shipped her off to New York City to stay with relatives - including her sophisticated cousin Tory - until the trouble she's caused back home dies down.
Could she even be . . . a WITCH?

Tory is far too cool to bother with Jinx - until Jinx's chronic bad luck wreaks havoc in Tory's perfect life--including causing Tory's crush, Zack, to start paying way too much attention to her red-headed cousin from Iowa. Only then does Jinx discover that beneath Tory's big-city glamour lies a world of hatred and revenge. Now it seems that the jinx that's driven Jean crazy may just be the only thing that can save her life . . .


How have I not read this book before? I love Meg Cabot and have read all her books but this one, until now. I told my book reading friend Nat I hadn’t read it and she laughed at me! It’s been sitting in my bookshelf for about a year and for some unknown reason I was reluctant to read it. I was crazy! I read it in one day and found that like other Meg Cabot books that I loved it. 

Jinx is such an innocent, adorable well meaning person that I fell in love with her straight away. As a character she’s really kind and a little naive which makes her all the more endearing to readers. I felt a connection to her because generally in my group of friends I’m like Jinx, naive and innocent when it comes to some aspects of being a stereotypical “teenager”. 

 Zack is the boy next door, literally. He’s sweet and funny and their relationship makes me smile. Tory is a great antagonist and I felt a bit sorry for her although her actions are a little unbelievable. 

I loved the whole witch aspect to Jinx; I find different religions including Wicca and the past actions towards witches quite interesting. I thought it was great the novel tries to make people understand that generally religions like Wicca that involve “witches” aren’t the stereotypical witches we see in pop culture and that in fact they are more about harmony and nature. I thought the plot was really interesting and while a little stereotypical still surprised me. I love Meg’s style of writing; her novels are always funny and great reads. 

I loved reading Jinx; it was cute, funny and easy to read. 

I can’t wait to read Meg’s new novel Abandon when it comes out. As always comments are appreciated.

Also, Jess from The Tales Compendium, thank you so much for the recommendation for Skulduggery Pleasant, my dad started reading the first book and he loves it:) I haven't read it yet but as soon as he's finished that book is mine! Oh and happy blogoversary!

Hope your all enjoying your holidays if you have them:D

1 comment: