Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Poison Throne


The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan
A Friend. A Father. A Kingdom. Which one would you sacrifice? This compelling trilogy of court intrigue, adventure and romance is a winning combination of imagination, powerful storytelling and magnificent characters. Fifteen-year-old Wynter Moorehawke returns home after a five-year sojourn in the bleak Northlands. All has changed in her absence. Wynter is forced to make a terrible choice: stay and bow to the King's will, or abandon her ailing father and join her friend Razi and the mysterious Christopher Garron in their efforts to restore the fragile kingdom to its former stability. But this changed kingdom is a dangerous place, where all resistance is brutally suppressed and the trio constantly risk assassination, torture or imprisonment. Atmospheric and intriguing, it evokes an enchanting and convincing other world - love, treachery, jealousy, tenderness, war, wisdom and court life are all vividly depicted.

I LOVED this book! I was looking at books in the library when I saw this cover. I thought it was really different from other covers so I picked it out. Then I saw the word apprentice and I had to read it. I have a book weakness for books about apprentices, pupils, and teachers in historical fiction. However when I started to read the book it turned out that it had very little to do with apprentices at all. But it didn’t matter, I was already hooked. From the first page I was sucked in and couldn’t stop reading until I finished. The only reason I did stop was because I needed at least six hours of sleep to function, but even when I tried to sleep the book would not leave my mind. I kept thinking about it, wondering what was going to happen next. 

The Poison Throne is the first book in The Moorehawk Trilogy. Set in medieval Europe, The Poison Throne is about fifteen year old Wynter Moorehawk, Protector Lady and an apprentice to her father as a carpenter. After five years of being away Wynter and her ailing father Lorcan return to their home in the castle only to find that much has changed. No one talks to the cats anymore and ghosts do not exist. Wynter’s childhood friend and heir to the throne Alberon is absent. His half brother Razi, Wynter’s other childhood friend is all grown up and has a new friend, Christopher. Soon after she gets back events occur that threaten to destroy the kingdom and she must make a choice to stay and be with her father or join her friends to save the kingdom.  

This book is action packed, exciting, mysterious and vividly written. It’s really interesting and fast paced. I loved the plot line; I had no idea what was going to happen next. Wynter is a feisty heroine who is apprenticed into a man’s trade. She’s strong and caring and I really liked her. Razi, her headstrong childhood playmate is the king’s eldest son but not the heir to the throne. He and Wynter are like siblings and he is very protective of her. Christopher is mysterious, sly, tomcat of a character. He is Raiz’s close friend and has a murky past.  Lorcan is Wynters sickly father, sweet and cheeky he strives to make sure his baby-girl will be able to survive in the world without him. This book is full of action, romance and humor and I seriously recommend it, if you like Tamora Pierce I'm sure you'll love this book. I think it’s one of my favorite historical fiction series that I have read in a while and I can’t wait to read the next in the series. 


Okay so that was my first review! It’s not the best but at least I’ve started and can now improve. So comments and constructive criticisms are appreciated and please tell me what you think. Currently I’m reading The Crowded Shadows which is the next in the series and will review that when I’m finished.

2 comments:

  1. Its a GREAT review! My friend Nicole adored this series, she raved about it for days.

    Must get time to read it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cattanach.tye.t1 Oh my gosh thank you! I was so nervous about how this review would turn out, I'm glad you liked it! And yes you must read it:) Thank you so much for commenting

    ReplyDelete